Read Luke 22:1-6
Jesus arrived in Jerusalem in chapter 19 and all are expecting the king to ride to glory. When he arrives on a donkey, it seems like it is all a bit of a joke. Here in Luke 22 verses 1-6 the chief priests and teachers of the law see Jesus as no joke. They see him as a threat. They wish to get rid of him. But they know they have to ‘bide their time’. They don’t have to wait too long. Verse 3 is scary and raises many questions!? It could be said verse 5 is even scarier, that the chief priests are delighted they have discovered a way to get rid of Jesus, the author of life!! No, Judas waits and watches for a way, not to crown Christ as King, but to capture him when there is no crowd. Away from watching eyes, the King who should have captivated them will be captured by them.
By Stew Playsted (Gospel Community Vision Coordinator)
Questions for Reflection
- What is the Chief priests’ plan?
- Do you find verse 3 or verse 5 scarier? Why?
- Why was Judas so committed to this cunning handover when there was no crowd?
- Judas consented to handing Christ over for money. When are you tempted to hand Christ over to pursue one of your loves?
- It is clear the chief priests, teachers of the law, Satan and Judas conspired to the capture of Christ. Are we innocent? Why/Why Not?
Family Around the Table
It is so sad that Jesus was betrayed. How can we live for Jesus today, even in a crowd?