Personal opportunities: It’s a really great thing to be praying for ministries that reach out to our community with the gospel. But perhaps the first thing we should be praying about regarding our local mission is the opportunities for gospel witness in our own lives and situations. Who can you be reaching out to with the gospel in your own life, and how? Pray for these opportunities.
Mission in the workplace around Lismore:
- Pray that Christians may see their workplace as a mission field and seek opportunities to speak the Gospel to their non-Christians colleagues.
- Pray that Christians may be a good witness and set a good example
- Pray that people in the workplace may be curious about the hope that the Christians have and be open to hearing the Gospel.
In a powerful vision, God revealed to his servant that He will be worshiped by people “from every tribe and language and people and nation” (Revelation 5:9). Therefore we can say with confidence that the Somali language will be included in that worship. Hallelujah! Jesus promised to build his church and He is also doing it among the Somali people. There are some house churches here and there. They gather to study God’s word, to worship, and to pray for one another.
Generally, Somali believers enjoy singing. They are gifted in writing poems. Sometimes they create songs spontaneously. Somali believers don’t need to copy the style of worship from their neighbouring cultures. God gave them the full right to worship in their own language with their own spiritual songs and in their own style. The Lord enjoys any worship which comes to him in Spirit and in truth. Somalis are not used to long sermons, but they like discussions. It’s not unusual for such discussions to become hot, because emotions are always involved.
The sad news about Somali house churches is the struggle with disunity. There are character issues, clan issues, or different Christian organizations that cause divisions. Because Jesus builds his church, there is hope for Somalis!
- Praise God that He is keeping his promise to build His church among Somalis. Nobody can stop him!
- Pray for unity in the Somali house churches! May forgiveness always overcome bitterness and anger among the believers.
- Pray for maturity among the Christian organizations. Pray for a Kingdom-mindedness among various Christian workers that glorifies God and functions as the body of Christ serving one another.