In the middle of the day, everything goes dark. The light of the world is being taken from the world. It’s as though curtains have been closed across the windows of the world. But as the light of the world breathes his last, the curtain of the temple is torn in two. The curtain separating people from the Almighty God. Will light pour down? Or will it be wrath?
It is wrath. But it is not humanity who endures it. Jesus endures it. He willingly places himself between us and the Father. And as he receives the wrath of the Father that we deserve, light comes too. “Surely this was a righteous man”, says the centurion. Now he sees. The wrath of God has been taken by Jesus so that we can have righteousness in him. The darkness of sin has been taken by Jesus so that we can see the glory of God. Praise God!
By Brad Herd (Gospel Community Vision Coordinator)
- Why did darkness come over the land?
- What was the purpose of the curtain in the temple?
- What does the centurion do when she sees how Jesus dies?
- What do others do when they see how Jesus died?
- What will you do with what you know about how Jesus died?