Read Luke 24:1-8
It’s the first day of the week, very early in the morning. These women were the last to leave the tomb and now the first to return. They had rested on the sabbath and now at first light take the opportunity to properly prepare Jesus’ body.
These women cared deeply for Jesus and wanted desperately to give him a proper burial. They loved him deeply but had they listened to him? I mean, really listened to him? Much like ALL of Jesus’ followers, these women expected to find Jesus dead. In fact, as we saw from verse 2, they had planned on it. But what they found instead shocked them. The stone rolled away, and no body in sight. Despite Jesus reminding his followers what was to come, still, they forgot.
So from verse 4, two heavenly messengers tell the women what they know and remind them what Jesus said when he was with them. And from verse 8, “they remembered”.
By Steve Tilley (Gospel Community Vision Coordinator)
- What did the women do that showed their love for Jesus?
- The women had clearly forgotten what Jesus had said, how did God remind them?
- Can you think of any significance in there being two messengers?
- Was their reminder effective?
- Can you think of any other times God had to remind his people of something important?
Family Around the Table
Jesus’ followers needed to be reminded of some pretty important things. What are some important things Jesus has said that we can remind each other?