Read Luke 22:39-46
I remember being at an evangelistic event on the campus of SCU and the visiting evangelist sharing this was one of the most frightening passages in the Bible. Why so frightening? Because Jesus the Lord of creation, the one who was always so calm and so in control, at this moment shows incredible anguish. He is not composed. What was the cup he was about to drink? (See Psalm 75:8 & Amos) It was a cup of judgement. The God of this world, who has been denied and mocked and disregarded by this world, would pour out a cup of judgement. Jesus knew he would be the one to drink this cup. Jesus will drink it to the dregs. Jesus would hold his hands around the cup and then have his hands held down and feel the judgement of God on the cross. What a king we have! What a servant!! What sacrifice!!!
By Stew Playsted (Gospel Community Vision Coordinator)
- Why do you think Jesus wanted to pray?
- How does Jesus respond to this cup?
- How does the disciples’ prayer life go?
- Do you understand how extraordinary it is that Jesus would drink this cup? Why/Why not?
- Pray now in thanks that we have one who drank this cup for us.
Family Around the Table
What is the kindest thing someone has done for you? What is the kindest Jesus has done for you?