Read Luke 24:13-24
“What are you discussing together as you walk along?” It’s a loaded question. As though he doesn’t know. But it’s clear that Jesus is putting it on. He’s got a plan. He’s preparing to teach them a lesson. But he gets them to reveal their hearts first. “They stood still, their faces downcast.” They have given up hope.
These disciples have been witness to a whole heap of Jesus’ miracles and have heard his teaching. They have been told by Jesus about what he needed to do. But they still haven’t understood fully. “We had hoped he was the one who was going to redeem Israel” (verse 21). Jesus was the one who was going to redeem Israel. And he did. By his death, he paid the price to buy his people back from slavery to sin and death. The true Israel, all who accept Jesus as king, are redeemed, bought back, by his payment. His own life for ours. So that we can belong to him.
By Brad Herd (Gospel Community Vision Coordinator)
- Where does Jesus catch up with this pair of disciples?
- Can you imagine how the disciples were feeling? What does their body language tell us?
- Who do they think Jesus was?
- Why do they think all of this has happened?
- What are they expecting from Jesus now?
- What are you expecting from Jesus now?