Personal opportunities: It’s a really great thing to be praying for ministries that reach out to our community with the gospel. But perhaps the first thing we should be praying about regarding our local mission is the opportunities for gospel witness in our own lives and situations. Who can you be reaching out to with the gospel in your own life, and how? Pray for these opportunities.
Scripture in our local schools:-
- Pray for the children: that they may be open to hearing the Gospel and ask questions.
- Pray that the teachers may be refreshed and strengthened throughout the term so they may be able to be lovingly and patient with the children as they speak the Gospel.
- Pray for the Christmas presentation and that parents may come and be opened to the real message of Christmas being presented
Somali believers are still facing persecution on different levels as did their spiritual fathers and mothers many years ago.
They are still threatened, and in Somalia itself still sometimes put into prison and facing threat of death. The frequently spoken threat “I’ll kill you” is psychological persecution which believers find exhausting. Sometimes the threat is carried out. Many are traumatised. The biggest hardship for any Somali
believer anywhere on this planet is to be an outcast from his family and society.
To most Somalis “Christian” describes an alcohol-drinking non-Muslim with an immoral lifestyle. Somali society can almost not imagine a Christian believer to be a God fearing person. Having a family member converted to Christianity brings great shame and mourning to the whole family. Praise the Lord for some very courageous believers who have been returning to their communities. They are humbly and steadfastly overcoming the common prejudices.
- Pray for protection of the believers in intimidation and loneliness.
- Pray for mature and Godly role-models among the believers.
- Pray for dedication and courage among believers and Christian workers to free the Gospel from a Western image and to plant it right into the heart of Somali communities.
Leave a Reply