1 John 4:7-21
Unfortunately this talk is unavailable to listen to. Below are my notes from the talk. You can also refer to the book “The Good God – Enjoying Father, Son and Spirit” by Michael Reeves, chapter 5 “Who among the gods is like you, O Lord?”
Bible Talk Outline
Intro: the problem with God
• This is the last talk in the series “Introducing God”
• God is revealed so we might know him and have a relationship with him
– We have seen how the Father, Son and Spirit eternally loved each other
– God is love
• Has God got less appealing character traits?
– Even God’s holiness and wrath are good when viewed through the right lens
• Means being set apart
• What is set apart from?
– sin and sinful people
– We don’t deserve to be with him
– However in love God sent his Son so we might be holy again and his Spirit dwell in us
– “Be holy for I am holy”
– We are to be set apart in the way we love, to love with God’s love
– Also means we are to be set apart from sin
• A God term usually – people get angry, God has wrath
• How does wrath fit in in with God being love?
– When love and evil clash, God’s wrath is expressed as part of his love
– The opposite of love is apathy, doing nothing
– God’s love burns against sin that is evil and ruins his creation and people
– Love can be and should be provoked into action
– How much does the Father love the Son? Infinitely and eternally – refer John 17:24 “Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.”
– 1 John 4:9-10 ” 9 This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. 10 This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.”
– Jesus was an atoning sacrifice, bearing God’s wrath that we deserved
– God’s wrath doesn’t have to burn against our sin if we trusting in Jesus as our Savour
– 1 John 4:19 We love because he first loved us.
– we should love and should hate sin
– Rom 12:9 “Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good.”
• What in heaven are we looking forward to? Bad stuff being gone? Good stuff like an endless supply of Tim Tams?
– What is the goal of creation?
– Rev 21:3 ” And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God.”
– God won’t be distant in heaven
– Jesus became man to redeem creation and mankind
– God is good all the time. There aren’t bad traits of God.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.