Personal opportunities: It’s a really great thing to be praying for ministries that reach out to our community with the gospel. But perhaps the first thing we should be praying about regarding our local mission is the opportunities for gospel witness in our own lives and situations. Who can you be reaching out to with the gospel in your own life, and how? Pray for these opportunities.
REAL and PHAT in the local high schools
- Pray for the REAL workers that they may proclaim the gospel boldly and present it a manner that engages the youth.
- Pray that the REAL workers will be shining lights amongst the teachers at the high schools. Pray that the other teachers will be open to the Gospel and ask questions about the hope Christians have in Jesus.
- Pray for the leaders of PHAT that they may encourage the Christian students to live their faith amongst their friends and take opportunities to speak the truth in a loving and gentle way.
When Jesus left this earth He spoke these words: “Go and make disciples of all nations”. He didn’t explain how it was to be done, instead by His own life He gave them an example. Disciples need a role-model.
This is also what Somali believers need: a living example of how to live a holy life for Christ. The Somali house churches will grow in number when they grow in maturity. Only true disciples will make disciples! Of course, the need for living examples challenges foreign workers also. Somalis want to observe a vivid prayer life, how to be immersed in God’s Word, how to forgive one another, how to have godly marriages, how to love their enemies, how to overcome discouragement and how to love God more than anything.
Somali disciples of Christ will eventually become the leaders of their house churches. It will be a turning point in history when Somali elders, who fit the biblical criteria of eldership, lead their churches. Generally, Somalis reject any kind of leadership because submission is something negative. They assume that leaders will work for their own benefit. Therefore the church will need leaders with godly character, who are ready to serve in the way Jesus did.
- Praise God for His model of discipleship!
- Pray for Somali believers to grow in their walk with the Lord!
- Pray that God will raise up Somali believers who will become godly leaders for their churches.